Sunday 9 September 2012

Drugstore Lip Product Favourites

While going through my stash as I was packing, I thought it would be good to do a little collection of some of my favourite drugstore products and swatch and review them. These are all under £5 and beautiful pigmented products that act like they are much more expensive than that. These are my six favourites and I'm going to run through some swatches and a quick review of each. The six products are:

  • Sleek True Colour Lipstick in Papaya Punch
  • Boots 17 Lasting Fix Lipstick in Showbiz
  • Boots 17 Supreme Shine Lipstick in Pink Posey
  • Collection 2000 Cream Puff in Angel Delight
  • NYC "SmoochProof" (ugh) 16Hr Lipstain in Champagne Stain
  • NYC Liquid Lipshine in Big Apple Spice 
I've tried to make sure these products are pretty evenly divided in terms of texture, from my favourite ultra-dry mattes to a full-on high-pigment gloss. Sleek's True Colour Lipstick is a brilliant product, retailing at £4.99 and available in 20 different shades from Superdrug. Researching this post I found that Sleek shows swatches of all their products on fair, medium and dark skin, which I have never seen before but think is absolutely wonderful and such an important thing. I have a post brewing in the back of my head about racism in the beauty industry which I'm sure will pop up at some point. The shade I've featured is Papaya Punch, a coral pink that leans slightly orange without being TOO daring. However, it's pigmented like WHOA and is very bright and intense even at one swipe. If you're prone to dry lips I would use some lip balm (or Lanolips!) with this as it does tend to be quite drying. For me that's no bad thing but I know it would put some people off. Next up (product pics and swatch pic are all in the same order) we have Boots 17 Lasting Fix Lipstick, which kind of bridges the gap between a creamy lipstick that doesn't dry up your lips and a very intense matte shade. It's not a flat and 'powdery' matte but would not pass muster as a gloss. It's got enough slip to apply and wear comfortably but the pigment ensures a smooth application of a true colour that lasts like nobody's business. You can see in the swatch picture that it has a little sheen to it but nothing so dramatic as a gloss or shimmer effect. Gorgeous budget red lipstick and would happily use this as my only red lipstick! I don't.... but I would. AND...it's only £4.29 at Boots and also comes in 20 shades. Another Boots 17 product is next - I love these as they often have 3 for 2 or gifts with purchase - and who doesn't love that! This sheer shade is Supreme Shine Pink Posey, which is a frankly bizarre name for a purple lipstick. And they spelt 'posy' wrong, not me. Just to clarify. I'm not usually big on sheers but this turns into the most awesome berry coloured lipstick when mixed with Illamasqua Violate, which I swatched here and is a crazy dark green shimmery lipgloss. It's actually also really cute as a daytime lip which is not at all too purple when worn and can often just pull a warm look back to neutral. When there's 13 shades all for £4.99 each, I really don't believe in arguing too much, and I can imagine this to be a great starter lipstick for someone who wants to try a few crazier colours without having to commit TOO much. The next product is pretty much a matte dupe of Viva Glam Gaga II, which I do NOT endorse duping - it is a charity product and 100% of the RRP goes straight to the MAC AIDS charitable concerns. However, I own it and it's sometimes a little too glossy for me due to its amplified creme finish and its awe-inspiring amount of slip. So I anchor it over this: Collection 2000 Cream Puff Moisturising Lip Colour. A few words to start with: this is NOT moisturising. It is, on the other hand, matte like you won't believe. It only comes in four shades, which is a shame as I'd love to see this in red, orange or bright pink, though it tends to be a neutral line. It's £2.99, which is just crazy cheap, and it lasts a long time and doesn't have that tendency to run or smudge that a lot of products do. It will just stick. Doesn't even come off on cigarettes. The final two swatches are both by NYC Cosmetics, who I just LOVE. Their foundation isn't worth the bottle it's housed in, but for nail polishes and lip products for less than THREE QUID, you really cannot go wrong here. Like, seriously. Second from the right we have the 16 Hour "SmoochProof" Lipstain (scare quotes mine, I can't say that word seriously). This is a felt pen that lots of people will detest due to its drying properties, lack of balm on the other end and the fact that felt tip lip products often dry out in the tube pretty quickly. This shade is Champagne Stain, which just sounds horrid. However, the fact that this is a felt tip pen lip stain that actually has some pigment is not lost on me, and I love it under Lanolips or any sheer and glittery gloss - particularly MAC Evolution Revolution. OR I also love the next product, NYC Liquid Lipshine in Big Apple Spice, painted over aforementioned stain, which gives a multilayed effect that I really like. Big Apple Spice is not a colour I would normally choose: these kind of coppery-neutral glosses aren't usually massively flattering on me but I do love the fact that it's quite Autumnal - and almost a bit festive. I'm not saying the C word though. 

Phewf, I'm knackered from typing that and must refuel with cake. 

Alison. xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment